Medical marijuana is legal in 29 states and Washington DC. Shown to be an effective treatment for several medical conditions, many people are curious about trying medical cannabis. Whether you live in a medical state or one that will soon pass legislation, you might be wondering how to talk to your doctor about medical marijuana.
It’s understandable that talking with your health care provider about cannabis can be intimidating. As socially accepted as medical marijuana is, it still holds a social stigma that can make it feel strange talking about it to a medical professional.
If you’re interested in trying medical marijuana, we salute you. It’s an amazing medicine full of countless benefits. Having a talk with your doctor about medical marijuana should feel empowering, not like you’re breaking the law.
Having the Talk with Your Doctor About Medical Marijuana
We’ve put together a list of things to bring up with your doctor when bringing up the subject of using medical cannabis. Being prepared can take away some of the apprehension you might be feeling. Keeping the following in mind when you talk to your doctor about medical marijuana can help your experience be a positive one.
- Discuss what types of ailments can be treated with medical marijuana: You might already have a good idea that medical marijuana will be beneficial for whatever condition you’re facing. Talk to your doctor about it. Discuss what types of ailments can be treated. Inquire if your doctor has prescribed medical marijuana in the past.
- Talk about different consumption methods: Medical marijuana doesn’t have to be smoked. There are several different methods of consumption aside from smoking that include: vaporizing, oil, tinctures, edibles, and topicals. Talk to your doctor about which method of consumption would most benefit your individual needs.
- Ask your doctor specific questions: The more prepared you are when talking to your doc about medical cannabis, the better. Ask specific questions. Some things you may want to ask include:
- Does medical marijuana interfere with any other medications I am currently taking?
- What type of marijuana would be best for my condition? CBD, THC, or a combination of both?
- Are you aware of any studies that have been done on using medical marijuana with my condition?
- What effects will I feel when using medical marijuana?
Do Your Research Before Talking to Your Doctor about Medical Marijuana
It’s highly recommended that you do your research before talking to your doctor. Simply Google “medical marijuana for _____” and fill in whatever condition it is you’re interested in treating with cannabis. The more information you’re equipped with going in, the better.
We also invite you to explore the contents of our blog, where we’ve got countless articles regarding the health benefits of medical marijuana…and more. We’re here to help you make informed choices about medical cannabis and answer any questions you might have.
Questions or comments about using medical marijuana? Want to know more about talking to your doctor about cannabis? Just leave us a comment below.